SW. SF: Tufted Puffin, Northern Parula et al., 10/13/18

Paul Saraceni

This morning I did a seawatch (7:15-9:00 AM) from the south end of the Great Highway, joined by Hugh Cotter for part of the time. Very good viewing conditions, overcast, with a steady SW wind.

The highlight was a juv. TUFTED PUFFIN flying N just ahead of a Common Murre that I scoped around 8:05.

Also of note was a late PIGEON GUILLEMOT flying S.

Hundreds of gulls (primarily Californias and Westerns) were on the move N the entire time.

Other observations of local interest:

GREEN-WINGED TEAL 6 (flying together with a flock of 12 Surf Scoters, first heading S then turned N)

Surf Scoter 42

Common Loon 5

Pacific Loon 4

Red-thr. Loon 2

Black-bellied Plover 1 (on the beach)

Sanderling 800+

Elegant Tern 40+ (flying S)

PARASITIC JAEGER 7

POMARINE JAEGER 1

Common Murre 20+

Also: Humpback Whale 3-4

After that Hugh and I headed over to the south Lake Merced concrete bridge.  At the NE corner of the bridge, looking over the wall, Hugh spotted a NORTHERN PARULA which we got brief looks at.  It was traveling with a flock of Bushtits and a couple of Orange-crowned Warblers. Unfortunately, the flock disappeared into the willows and reeds and we could not re-find the Parula.

Other observations included:

Eared Grebe 20+

Sora 1 (heard-only)

Virginia Rail 1 (heard-only)

Common Yellowthroat 5

Also: 1 Brush Rabbit & 1 California Vole at the birdseed pile E of the bridge.

We checked "Vista Grande Canal" (located across from the W parking lot and running along the border of the Olympic Club golf course). It was pretty quiet other than a feeding flock of mostly Yellow-rumped Warblers with just a few other western migrants. A male Nuttall's Woodpecker feeding on pine cones was nice to see.

Paul Saraceni