Skywatch -- Lewis's Woodpecker & Sandhill Cranes, 10/7/18

Paul Saraceni

Today (10/7) during late morning and afternoon, I did sporadic skywatches from my deck, looking at the skies over Cole Valley, Buena Vista Park to the E, and Tank Hill/Twin Peaks to the S.  Unlike yesterday, raptors were fairly limited to small numbers of 4 species (Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, Cooper's & Sharp-shinned Hawks), except for a high-flying, southbound NORTHERN HARRIER observed late this afternoon.

I did have a couple of sightings of interest, presumably attributable to the strong N/NE winds of last night and this morning.

At 11:20 AM, a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER flew a direct path S over Cole Valley until out of view over Tank Hill.

Around 12:20 PM, I observed a high-flying group of 7 SANDHILL CRANES for a few minutes.  I picked up on them high over Cole Valley and they continued flying NE over Buena Vista Park until out of view from my vantage point.

I also observed 200+ Band-tailed Pigeons flying S in 2 groups, a few Northern Flickers and Yellow-rumped Warblers, and 2 Hermit Thrushes in the yard below.

Butterflies on the move this afternoon included pulses of California Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals heading S/SE.

Paul Saraceni