Battery Godfrey 10.07.18 - Big Movement; Townsend's Solitaires; RB Grosbeak; CC Sparrow; BH Grosbeak; Caspian Terns etc.

H Cotter

It was one of those days on Battery Godfrey today with a large movement of birds; today's special of the day being Flickers.
Joined for some or all by Dominik Mosur, Peter Pyle, Max Benningfield, Joachim Gonzalez, Josiah Clark and Oscar Moss we had approx. 80 species total.
Winds were a strong N/NE in the morning switching to NW around 12.30PM.

Even with some nice rarities the highlight was the movement of flickers with approx 800 or so birds moving in the morning with Red-shafted; Yellow-shafted and a number of intergrades.
Approx  200 Yellow-rumps were observed, with numbers of BT Gray, a couple of Yellows, OC Warblers. Approx 350 Band-tailed Pigeon flew past in a number of groups. FOS Varied Thrushes were also seen with approx 230 birds in multiple flocks.
A number of raptors were seen but most were Sharp-shinned Hawks. We felt that we were missing most of the migrating raptors.

Other highlights;
Townsend's Solitaires - at least three , likely four and possibly five birds.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak- flyover young male.
Clay-colored Sparrow - drop in for about 15 seconds.
Black-headed Grosbeak - 1- getting late
Greater White-fronted Goose - Multiple groups
Cackling Geese- Multiple Groups
Acorn Woodpecker - 1
White-tailed Kite - 1 going North.
Caspian Tern - 3- getting late
Red-breasted Sapsucker - 7
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
American Pipit- 20 or so
Spotted Towhee - 1
GC  Kinglet - 1 ( FOS ?)

Hugh

A full list is below for both sessions this morning:

7.00 AM to 11.00 AM
Greater White-fronted Goose  9     9 2nd hour, Crissy birds(?)
Cackling Goose  54     14 2nd hour, 40 4th hour
Canada Goose  17     Small groups 1st hour
Surf Scoter  22     2, 3rd hour, small groups largest 10
Band-tailed Pigeon  324     Larger flocks in 3/4th hour after slow start
Mourning Dove  1
Vaux's Swift  12     5, 7
Anna's Hummingbird  3
hummingbird sp.  5
Black Oystercatcher  2     Locals down below
Long-billed Curlew  3     2, 1 early
Heermann's Gull  150     In channel
Western Gull  300     In channel
California Gull  4
Herring Gull  8     Adults, several noted in molt (Pyle)
Glaucous-winged Gull  1     Pyle
Caspian Tern  3     Getting late, 2, 1
Elegant Tern  300     In channel
Common Loon  2     Pyle
Brandt's Cormorant  100     In channel and rocks below (off Marshall beach)
Double-crested Cormorant  5
Brown Pelican  68
Turkey Vulture  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk  7
Cooper's Hawk  2
Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  8
Red-breasted Sapsucker  5
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  6     And likely missed many
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)  612     Carefully tally, 155-259-121-77 by the hour and probably missed many
Northern Flicker (intergrade)  10     I'm sure I undercounted
Peregrine Falcon  2
Black Phoebe  4
Say's Phoebe  3
California Scrub-Jay  5
American Crow  10
Common Raven  15
Violet-green Swallow  6
Chestnut-backed Chickadee  1
Bushtit  10
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
Pygmy Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Townsend's Solitaire  2     Flying with varied thrushes , 3 and 4th hours
Varied Thrush  222     Tallied, 63-30-107-22 by hour
American Robin  3
European Starling  2
American Pipit  20
Cedar Waxwing  63
House Finch  28
Purple Finch (Western)  11
House/Purple Finch  14
Red Crossbill  1
Pine Siskin  10
Lesser Goldfinch  15
American Goldfinch  4
Chipping Sparrow  1
Clay-colored Sparrow  1     Landed in ceanothus in front of group, photos(?)
Fox Sparrow (Sooty)  1
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon)  8
White-crowned Sparrow (Yellow-billed)  5
Golden-crowned Sparrow  8
Savannah Sparrow (Savannah)  4
Song Sparrow  1
Spotted Towhee  1
sparrow sp.  9
Western Meadowlark  80
Red-winged Blackbird  30
Red-winged Blackbird (California Bicolored)  1
Tricolored Blackbird  17     Two groups of 8 and single male in 2nd hour
Brewer's Blackbird  32
blackbird sp.  6
Orange-crowned Warbler (lutescens)  3
Yellow Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2     At least two
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)  153
Black-throated Gray Warbler  6
Townsend's Warbler  4
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  18
Western Tanager  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1     Called by hugh as it flew over, I think photos were obtained
Black-headed Grosbeak  1     Pyle confirmed squeaks were bhgr when it flew out of cypress
passerine sp.  126     Tally of unidentified passerines, Thrush sized or smaller

11.00AM to 1.30 PM
Greater White-fronted Goose  32     13,19
Northern Pintail  1     With first group of GWF
Surf Scoter  25
Western Grebe  3
Band-tailed Pigeon  2
Mourning Dove  1
Vaux's Swift  1
Anna's Hummingbird  4
Black Oystercatcher  2
Killdeer  2
Willet  1
Parasitic Jaeger  1     Harassing terns in the channel
Heermann's Gull  75
Western Gull  45
California Gull  56
Glaucous-winged Gull  3
Elegant Tern  400
Brandt's Cormorant  66
Pelagic Cormorant  3     On rocks
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Brown Pelican  16
Turkey Vulture  6
White-tailed Kite  1     Going north
Sharp-shinned Hawk  9
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  5
Acorn Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  148     A few intermediates
Peregrine Falcon  1
Black Phoebe  2
Say's Phoebe  1
American Crow  2
Common Raven  7
Violet-green Swallow  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Townsend's Solitaire  1     two sightings of one and possibly two- first bird came \back around and disappeared and then the same/another seen later
Varied Thrush  5
House Finch  7
Purple Finch (Western)  3
Pine Siskin  3