Re: Corona Hill Hawkwatch 10/6/2018

Paul Saraceni

I'm including below the numbers from my hawkwatch in Cole Valley (Noon-1:15 PM) to compare with Dom's, as we were both watching at the same time, approx. 1 mile apart (from E to W) as the raptor flies. This was an unplanned experiment. We compared sightings in realtime and, other than a few Red-tails that drifted W towards my location, we are fairly certain that we were seeing different birds, which were traveling via different "corridors":

Turkey Vulture - 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 5
Cooper's Hawk - 3
Red-shouldered hawk - 4
BROAD-WINGED HAWK - 2 (light-morph imms., both flying due-S over Cole Valley)
Red-tailed Hawk - 8 (2-3 of which were likely locals)
Peregrine Falcon - 1

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

On October 6, 2018 at 7:12 PM Dominik Mosur <@DMosur> wrote:

Conditions were ripe for a hawkwatch from Corona Hill (el 545') noon to ~1p.m. with light offshore breeze switching up to a brisk west/northwest as I was walking up the hill.

In that span I noted the following "raptors" moving south/southeast. Most were flying directly over the hill or to the east following a broad "air corridor", a few were west of the hill in the direction of Cole Valley where Paul Saraceni was watching simultaneously from his deck:

Turkey Vulture - 9, including a group of 6 ~12:15

Sharp-shinned Hawk - 2

Cooper's Hawk - 18(!), biggest count for me ever from this location in one effort

Red-shouldered hawk - 4, plus one agitated local bird that would repeatedly rise up from Buena Vista Park to challenge passing migrants as they flew over

BROAD-WINGED HAWK - 2, light morph hatch year birds at 12:07 and 12:27. Almost certainly different birds than those seen by Saraceni based on their timing and trajectory well east of Cole Valley

Red-tailed Hawk - 15, including a pack of 5 ~12:20, and a dark morph hatch year about 12:45

Additionally two more very distant hawk sp. flew well east of the hill, for a total of 52 birds on the hour. This was the most prolific raptor flight I have noted from this location.

Dominik Mosur