Re: Vireos and Fort Mason this morning

Joe Morlan

The throat looks white on my monitor. Face pattern is wrong for
Philadelphia which has a triangular black lore stripe, widest at the eye.
It looks like a Warbling Vireo to me.

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 17:58:41 -0500, "Jim Hully" <xenospiza@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Coming from the midwest, that questionable vireo (esp image #ML117683161)
looks good for a Philadelphia. The yellow is uniform
from the chin through to the belly while Warbling (in the midwest at least)
have a whitish throat. The delicate head and bill also contribute to it
being a Phillie. Some of the images tagged for Vireo Sp (e.g. ML117683241)
look to me to be Warbling. Do "western" Warbling have yellow throats in
fall?

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL (I miss California!)
xenospiza@gmail.com

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 5:31 PM David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had several vireos yesterday at Fort Mason, that I initially assumed
were all Warbling Vireos (other than the Hutton's), but at least one
doesn't look quite right for a Warbling. They are on my eBird checklist at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48950384.
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48950384> Today I couldn't find any
vireos at all, but the CLAY COLORED SPARROW continued in the garden, there
was a OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER in the Battery (which also had at least two
BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, a YELLOW WARBLER, several TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS
and many YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS). A NASHVILLE WARBLER and a SPOTTED TOWHEE
showed up in the garden, and five NORTHERN PINTAILS flew by heading west
over the Bay.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA