Strawberry Hill this afternoon

Smokey Bear

I had the luckiest after-work birding today.

First bird I saw when I got off the N Judah was a pointy-winged PEREGRINE FALCON flapping southwest.

On Strawberry Hill I didn’t re-find the Red-eyed Vireo, but I managed to intersect a mixed flock at the top of the hill, which yielded a WILSON’S WARBLER, several TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS, two ORANGE CROWNED WARBLERS, a BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, and a HERMIT WARBLER.

A BROWN CREEPER, myriad PYGMY NUTHATCH, a few WESTERN TANAGERS, CHICKADEES, a couple PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS and some HUTTONS VIREOS were all welcome sights.

A WESTERN WOOD PEWEE threw himself off a branch and spiraled down through a cloud of termites, clacking his bill as he caught some.

SONG SPARROWS and a PACIFIC WREN hopped around below.

A pretty HOODED MERGANSER and a COOPERS HAWK were seen on my way out, and when I was nearly back to the bus I passed the (lone GGP?) WILD TURKEY foraging along 9th Ave in front of the closed Arboretum.

Lucky day.

Anna