From: Peter Pyle [mailto:ppyle@birdpop.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:49 PM
To: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@coastside.net>
Cc: 'Dominik Mosur' <polskatata@yahoo.com>; 'SFBirds' <sfbirds@yahoogroups.com>; 'Ken R. Schneider' <kschnei1@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Song Sparrows on eBird

Hi Al -

Appreciate your comments and I agree that a designation of "merrilli/montana" is problematic.
I believe that merrilli is another
intergrade-swarm taxon from central British Columbia (akin to altivagans Fox Sparrow and cismontanus Dark-eyed Junco) so liking it with any of the three subspecies groups is problematic.

In a detailed specimen-based analysis we (Oscar Johnson, Jim Tietz, and I) concluded that merrilli was the most common "rufous" Song Sparrow in central California. Most of the specimens identified as morphna at CAS and MVZ appear to be merrilli. The SF bird appears too streaky to me for morphna and the field descriptions of its size seem too large for cleonensis. It seems rather typical of the merrilli to me, although caution is always warranted with these taxa since they can vary to look like any or all three of the surrounding subspecies groups..

Our paper is here:
http://www.birdpop.org/docs/pubs/Johnson_et_al_2013_The_Subspecies_of_the_SOSP_on_SE_Farallon.pdf
for anyone who wants to dig into this subject further.

Cheers, Peter

At 05:10 PM 1/18/2018, 'Alvaro Jaramillo' chucao@coastside.net [SFBirds] wrote:

Ken, and SF Birds.

I couldn’t help but look at the eBird designation of that Song
Sparrow. I think I need to send out a note to the eBird folks for
clarification.. But the designation montana/merrilli is a bit
problematic. It is problematic in a conceptual manner, and specifically
to this bird. The form montana is what you see on the other side of the
Sierras and northward from that, it is not too different from a Song
Sparrow from the East. Some consider Montana all the way to the
Atlantic to be one group. If you divide up these Great Basin/Mountain
birds, then as you go north, montana changes to a darker form merrilli.
But some have considered that to be an intermediate form with the
darker coastal birds. So that is the conceptual thing, perhaps they
should call this “montana group” to be clear, merrilli muddies
things up as some think it is from the coastal group, not the
mountain-east group.

But specifically regarding this bird, these darker more grey and rufous
birds are coastal birds from farther north, so West of the Cascades.
They begin as cleonensis to our north, change to morphna, then rufina
etc. Since rufina is the oldest named in that group, the entire
conglomerate of darker/coastal Song Sparrow of the Pac NW are called
the “rufina group.” That is what this bird should be identified as
in eBird.

Now our regularly occurring Song Sparrow in the Bay Area (away from
Salt Marshes) should be separated as “heermanni Group.” While
specifically the birds we see are gouldi, the group name comes from the
oldest named in the group, so heermanni.

I expect that montana/merrilli are extremely rare or non-existent here,
perhaps as rare as weeing a Thick-billed Fox Sparrow in the Bay Area. I
may be wrong, I have not looked up Grinnell and Miller on this, but it
is my expectation. BTW – there is a Song Sparrow Facebook group if you
all waant to discuss Song Sparrow.

Good birding,

<mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> alvaro@alvarosadventures.com

www.alvarosadventures.com