From: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dominik Mosur polskatata@yahoo.com [SFBirds]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:35 PM
To: SFBirds <sfbirds@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [SFBirds] Belated report of Pink-sided Junco/_merrilli_ Song Sparrow GGP Lloyd Lake 1/14/18

On Sunday morning (1/14/18) at Lloyd Lake in Golden Gate Park there was a YELLOW WARBLER and WHITE-THROATED Sparrow, both wintering 'continuers' previously reported in the area.

A bird I had not seen reported there previously was an interesting SONG SPARROW that appeared darker than our local types and larger, closer in overall size to White-crowns feeding nearby.

Additionally there was an 'interesting' looking female Dark-eyed Junco.

Ken Schneider was able to obtain images of the Song Sparrow and Junco later that morning. These can be seen here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41912312

Based on input we received from Peter Pyle, the Song Sparrow is of the northwest ssp _merrilli_ and the junco looks good for a Pink-sided _mearnsi_.

Thanks to Peter Pyle for helping with the ID and Ken Schneider for obtaining the excellent diagnostic images.

The sparrow flock at Lloyd Lake typical concentrates along the trail at the northeast corner, near the pumphouse, where someone regularly scatters seed.

Dominik Mosur