Re: Evening Grosbeak - get recordings?

Alvaro Jaramillo

Brian,

But what type of Evening Grosbeak were you listening to in the Sierras?

Here is an article on the call types

http://ebird.org/content/me/news/evening-grosbeak-flight-call-types-how-much-overlap-occurs/

Up in Klamath I have recorded type 1, and type 2 in the very same spot.

Examples of the call types here

http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/1601

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> alvaro@alvarosadventures.com

www.alvarosadventures.com

From: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Brian Fitch fogeggs@gmail.com [SFBirds]
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:33 PM
Cc: SF Birds <SFBirds@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak - get recordings?

For what it's worth, I was in the eastern Sierras last weekend, west of Bridgeport, and heard multiple Evening Grosbeaks calling. The strident, downslurred pheeuw! call I heard today seemed an exact match.

Brian Fitch

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Ken Copen kencopen@yahoo.com <mailto:kencopen@yahoo.com> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> > wrote:

Having spent the morning with him, i will say he was remarkably silent. I was surprised by how quiet he was compared to black-headed and rose-breasted's i've seen, that have always been very vocal. I was a little disappointed not to have heard his call, but at least got a few pics. From: "'Alvaro Jaramillo' chucao@coastside.net <mailto:chucao@coastside.net> [SFBirds]" <SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> > To: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:52 PM Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak - get recordings? SF Birders If that Evening Grosbeak is being vocal, it would be cool if someone could record calls and upload to eBird and or Xenocanto. Just like Red Crossbills, Evening Grosbeaks have vocal “types.” I recall there are about 4 of them, with 3 possible in the West. The Evening Grosbeak is a little less confusing than the crossbills, as different call types have separate breeding ranges. But in the non-breeding period they can be found in the same places. I am sure there is some spot where you can download the various call types to have a reference, but don’t know that for sure offhand. Good birding, Alvaro Alvaro Jaramillo <mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com <mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> > alvaro@alvarosadventures.com <mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com <http://www.alvarosadventures.com> From: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Mike Carozza mike.carozza@gmail.com <mailto:mike.carozza@gmail.com> [SFBirds] Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:27 AM To: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com> Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak and Turkey continue Grosbeak in a long needle white pine across the path and lower than the original green berry tree it was in. Pretty shy. Also a big fat turkey. Not banded. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join SFBirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.