Re: McCown's Longspur Photos

Joe Morlan

FWIW, here are mine.

https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/McCown'sLongspurP1120785.htm

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 19:22:55 -0700, "Mark Eaton marksffo@gmail.com
[SFBirds]" <SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

And my pictures are up as well…

http://markeaton.org/photo2.php?imageID=20171010291639775&galleryID=locallyrare <http://markeaton.org/photo2.php?imageID=20171010291639775&galleryID=locallyrare>

I think we’ll have plenty more shortly… :)
Mark
---
Mark Eaton
Photography: http://www.markeaton.org

On Oct 10, 2017, at 19:15, 'Alvaro Jaramillo' chucao@coastside.net [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Nice shots Aaron!

I would add that there are some subtle differences between McCown’s and Chestnut-collared. McCown’s has a more rectangular shaped head, there is a steep although short forehead, and then a flat crown. On Chestnut-collared the curve of the forehead-crown is more even. The bill is deep in McCown’s, but also very triangular
(equilateral) in shape, almost like a Fox Sparrow. In some respects aspects of the bill and head shape and bill color, are more like a Snow Bunting which some studies suggest is a closer relative to McCown’s than the other longspurs. The facial pattern of Chestnut-collared also shows a shadow of the adult male pattern, in that
there is a dark crescent at the lower rear of the ear coverts, and a dark triangle on the upper rear of the ear coverts; often the darkest part of the face on a Chestnut-collared are these areas and not near the bill or lateral throat stripes. This SF individual McCown’s has a buff chest area that is like a ghost pattern of the
dark breast
area of the adult male McCown’s.

Awesome photos, great learning by looking at them.

Maybe we can score one in San Mateo!!

<mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> alvaro@alvarosadventures.com

www.alvarosadventures.com