9/1 Mt. Davidson flurry & Spoonbill SP event

Eddie Bartley

In between chores arrived at Mt. Davidson not until almost 9:00 AM and like everywhere it was very warm with skies as smoggy as I’ve ever seen them here in SF. Ughh! Quiet too on the trail up from Myra then we ran into our buddy Skip so that cheered things up and he had seen a few good birds. Still quiet up by the cross but then we dropped down the forest edge trail that runs adjacent to the native plantation and it suddenly became very birdy.

Nothing rare that we could find but lots of female type/juvenile WESTERN TANAGERS and several LAZULI BUNTINGS all juvenile from what we could tell, at least two BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS, two WARBLING VIREOS one bright enough I fantasized about Red-eyed for a second until we got a better view of the bill. We no doubt missed a bunch as activity was high; at one point 6 W. Tanagers flew downhill all at once and could still hear others chirruping uphill from us.

Most surprising bird was a male SPOTTED TOWHEE. We’ve been birding out of town much of the summer so maybe this isn’t a surprise to others but I believe this is a site bird for us. Also a juvenile HOUSE WREN was pretty cool. At least two SELASPHORUS hummers working the Cypress with their turbines in high gear. Anna’s everywhere.

Then things settled down and we went into the forest where it was mostly the usual suspects except for a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK that Skip had warned us about – it was still there harassing Robins on the west side of the hill.

Afterwards we picked up stuff for the Coastal Cleanup from SF Park & Rec. - Saturday September 16 - we’re doing Pier 94 but plenty of good choices:

http://www.parksconservancy.org/events/volunteer-events/special-events/california-coastal-cleanup.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Also wanted to share about a unique opportunity here in San Francisco to find out about a very iconic bird, namely, Spoonbilled Sandpiper. We’ve seen this speaker before and he has amazing stories to share about this rare and super cool looking Eurasian bird and efforts to bring it back from the brink in places like Russia and Korea. The event is free but you have to register and there is a limit of 100. Here’s the 411:

SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPERS AND THE CONSERVATION OF

MIGRATORY SHOREBIRDS ON THE EAST ASIA FLYWAY

Talk by Dr. Evgeny Syroechkovskiy — Director, Birds Russia and Chair of the Spoon-billed Sandpiper Task Force

Presented by the Bird Conservation Fund

Place: First Unitarian Universalist Church, 1187 Franklin Street, San Francisco, CA

Time: Monday, September 18th, 2017 - 6:30 PM - 8 PM

Tickets are available free through Eventbrite.  Please reserve your free tickets in advance, as space is limited.

Hope to see you out there!

Eddie Bartley