PAAU observation notes

Alan Hopkins

At long last I got longer looks at the Parakeet Auklet today. When I arrived at the Mile Rock Overlook at about 2 pm the bird had flown out of sight and was apparently on the north side of a rock with Western Gull chicks along the shore. I walked back west and was able to find the bird sitting on top of a rock that is not visible from the Mile Rock Overlook. The place I observed the bird from is just east of where the steps come down from the El Camino del Mar parking lot where a cable fence prevents people from walking into a gully. The bird was on the largest rock west of the rock with gull chicks.

Eventually the bird flew off and landed on Hermit Rock. It landed on the rock where there is a large fissure going down the rock. It stayed in view for a while but then IT WENT INTO A CRACK BEHIND A PLANT GROWING ON THE ROCK (Dandelion?) It after some time it flew out and out of sight.  I hope this helps.

Alan Hopkins