Corona Heights Audubon Walk

Brian Fitch

After a surprisingly weak autumn season, we finally had a great event yesterday, as a good mix of regular attendees and visitors spent quality time with each other and with a good mix of winter resident birds.  A guest from Scotland on his first birding trip to the US gave us extra impetus to look at every species with interest, and a number of participants helped Dom and I with their spotting skills.

Highlights included several feeding flocks at close range; especially nice was a group of Cedar Waxwings eating Toyon berries along with Hermit Thrush and Northern Mockingbird.  Raptors were up early enjoying the east breeze, with four apparently resident Red-taileds in view at once, a young Cooper's Hawk making multiple hunting passes, and two sightings of Merlin.

Unusual species for this site or time were a Herring Gull, a hybrid Flicker with red malar and red nape, and a Western Tanager along Museum Way.

Species seen:
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Merlin