Pelagic - two more this season. Weather and possibilities looking good this Saturday.

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello all,

    We found our first Flesh-footed Shearwater of the season in Monterey last weekend, so I am hopeful that we can find one this weekend off Half Moon Bay. This is a good time for shearwaters, although numbers of Sooty decrease, the diversity increases and some rare species have occurred in this time period, likelihood of Flesh-foot as well as Short-tailed increase. We did see five species of shearwater last week end. I expect we should run into some storm petrels as small numbers have been reliable off Half Moon Bay, and if the weather is good as predicted we should have a good chance. Right now weather is predicted to be of low seas, and winds that will not cause a problem for navigation but should keep birds in the air. It is an exciting time of year, lots of goodies have turned up in October such as our White-chinned Petrel in 2009. I always wonder if that bird is alive and if it is still lost in the northern hemisphere, or has it headed down south? South Polar Skuas have been making appearances the last couple of weeks, and all three jaegers have been around and last time we went out here we had lots of Sabine’s Gulls, alcid numbers are being fortified with migrants moving in from the north in the last couple of weeks. Lots is going on out there, both with birds, as well as whales and other marine mammals. There is an interesting setup with lots of warm water offshore, including some 62 degree water within reach.

   Oct 1 and 8th are the remaining dates -  http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/ if you are interested in signing up or email me for more information.

Good birding!

alvaro@...