SF sea-watching, 4/30/16

Paul Saraceni

Saturday morning (7-10 AM), Hugh Cotter and I did some sea-watching from the closed parking lot at the south end of the Great Highway (SE), followed by the Mile Rock overlook (MR), and I finished up with some scoping from the Cliff House terrace (CH). Steady NW winds with decent visibility, other than a few pockets of haze at the south end.  Pacific Loons, Common Murres, and shorebirds were on the move.

Observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 20+
BLACK SCOTER 1 m. & 1 f. (on the ocean @ SE; getting late)
W. Grebe 15
Com. Loon 9 (8 alt./1 basic @ SE)
Pacific Loon 1500+ (flying N, most off from SE)
Red-thr. Loon 12
Snowy Egret 1 (crossed the GG Channel flying S below MR)
Brown Pelican 4 @ SE, 8 @ CH
Turkey Vulture 1 @ MR
Whimbrel 40+
Marbled Godwit 8
WANDERING TATTLER 3 (together in the small cove below the S entrance to the CH terrace)
W. Sandpiper 30 (1 flock flying N over surf @ SE)
Least Sandpiper 40+ (multiple small flocks over ocean)
Red-necked Phalarope 24 (4, 20 flying N over ocean @ SE)
Sanderling 600+ @ SE
Glaucous-winged Gull 3 1Ws @ CH
Caspian Tern 10+
Com. Murre 400+ (many flying N and into GG Channel; big flock on ocean off of SE)
Pigeon Guillemot 20+ (most below MR)
Bank Swallow 20+ (flying out from and above the colony S of the parking lot @ SE)
Barn Swallow 2 (flying with the Bank Swallows)

Also:
Humpback Whale 2 (1 adult & 1 calf relatively close to shore off of MR, then off of CH)
Bottlenose Dolphin 2 (nearshore from MR)
California Sea Lion 4 @ CH
Harbor Seal 1 @ CH

Paul Saraceni