April 30 pelagic - Half Moon Bay.

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello all,

    We are in the month of April, spring migration is kicking up on land as it is on the ocean. Cruise ship birders off our coasts have already detected northbound Sabine’s Gulls, and a Murphy’s Petrel to the north! In case you want to begin training your pelagic eye for the fall season, we are aiming to head out from Half Moon Bay on April 30th to see what is out there. At this time of year we often see gorgeous breeding plumaged Red and Red-necked Phalaropes. The offshore migration of Bonaparte’s Gulls is going, and Sabine’s Gull is often with them. The shearwaters are building in number, and fantastic looking alcids in breeding garb are the norm – Rhinoceros Auklets, Pigeon Guillemots and Common Murres as well as Cassin’s Auklets. We have also found Scripps’s Murrelets and Brown Boobies at this time of year, and one of these days a Murphy’s Petrel is bound to go by. It is a good time for Laysan Albatross too!

  If you want to book a spot: http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/ or contact me if you have questions. We are likely to venture into San Francisco, as well as San Mateo waters, depending on the wind and wave direction. So far this season conditions have been pretty favorable out there. The water temperature has dipped a bit, almost near normal, but still a bit on the warm side. Loon migration, whales, and perhaps the resident Marbled Murrelets await.

Good birding

alvaro@...