GGAS Fort Mason Field Trip - Tropical Kingbird, etc.

David Assmann

The 25 participants in the GGAS Fort Mason field trip started the morning with great views of the TROPICAL KINGBIRD in the large evergreen tree at the entrance to the Community Garden.  It posed for at least 20 minutes, and at one point flew out to chase an AMERICAN CROW. Also in the garden a NASHVILLE WARBLER foraged in plain sight, and a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER put in a very brief appearance. A GREAT HORNED OWL was on the back side of the palm tree behind the General's House.  Moving down to Aquatic Park, we not only found three BLACK TURNSTONES and a WANDERING TATTLER, but also all five grebe species, including the RED-NECKED GREBE, which would only stay on the surface for 3-5 seconds at a time.  There were also three COMMON LOONS, a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, 2 HORNED GREBES and a perched BELTED KINGFISHER. We looked for Bluebirds in the Great Meadow, which we didn't find, but we did find the FOS swallows for Fort Mason - two TREE SWALLOWS and at least one VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW. There were four warbler species in total, including two ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS. Total species count for the morning - 58!