Miscellaneous observations, SW SF, 1/31/16

Paul Saraceni

This morning Hugh Cotter and I did a 1-hr seawatch from the south end of the Great Highway in excellent viewing conditions. Observations of local interest:

Com. Goldeneye 2 m. (flew E over Great Highway towards L. Merced)
Surf Scoter 60+
Black Scoter 4 m.
White-winged Scoter 1 m. (on the water)
Com. Loon 1
Pacific Loon 6
Red-thr. Loon 80+
Marbled Godwit 14
Sanderling 80+
Heermann's Gull 5 (the big numbers from a month ago have departed)
MARBLED MURRELET 2 (flying N; Hugh, only)

Following the seawatch, we observed the following among others at the L. Merced concrete bridge:

HOODED MERGANSER 1 f./imm. (south impoundment; uncommon for L. Merced)
Thayer's Gull 3
Glaucous x Herring Gull 1 2w (a candidate for this hybrid combination)
Tree Swallow 4
Great-tailed Grackle 1 m.

Paul Saraceni