Recent seawatch and other observations, SW SF

Paul Saraceni

I have done some recent seawatching this morning (1/25) and late last week from the south end of the Great Highway.

This morning's observations of local interest (some with Aaron Mazlish):

Surf Scoter 80+
Black Scoter 5 m./1 f.
White-winged Scoter 1 f.
Com. Loon 4
Red-thr. Loon 120+
RED-NECKED GREBE 1 (flying N just beyond the breakers)
Sanderling 180+
Heermann's Gull 20+
Forster's Tern 11 (8/3 flying S and diving offshore; much more frequent than usual over the ocean from here this winter)
Com. Murre 3 (flying N)
Also: Harbor Porpoise 1

On 1/23, Hugh Cotter and I observed a flock of 4 BRANT flying N just beyond the breakers.

During the past 3 seawatches I observed from 1-4 White-winged Scoters. They're in low numbers locally this winter but with patience you might get a fly-by or 2.

At L. Merced on 1/23, observations of local interest (some with Hugh):

Surf Scoter 1 imm. m. (near concrete bridge until flushed by rowers; very unusual for L. Merced)
Sora 1 (heard-only @ wooden bridge)
Thayer's Gull 4
White-thr. Swift 3
Tree Swallow 8
Golden-cr. Kinglet 1 (Harding Park near north lake)
Yellow Warbler 1 (continuing winterer @ Harding Park near Boathouse)
Great-tailed Grackle 2 m./3 f. (back @ concrete bridge)

Paul Saraceni