SF Coastal Observations, 12/29-11

Paul Saraceni

I did several SF sea/sky-watches this week, including from the south end of the Great Highway for the SF CBC on the morning of 12/29, and from Battery Godfrey on the mornings of 12/31 & 1/1 (w/Ken Schneider).

Observations of local interest:

12/29 CBC seawatch:
Canada Goose 11 (flock flying N high offshore -- from photos appear to be "Lesser" Canada Geese)
Black Scoter 2 m./1 f.
White-winged Scoter 1
Red-br, Merganser 1 f.
Heermann's Gull 210+
FOSTER'S TERN 6 (single flock flying S and diving offshore; unusual for this location in the winter)
ANCIENT MURRELET 2 (flying N)

12/31 & 1/1 Battery Godfrey:
BRANT 13 -- 1/1 (on the water in the middle of GG Channel)
Canada Goose 6 -- 1/1 (flying over Marin Headlands, possibly "Lesser")
Greater Scaup 1 m./3 f. -- 1/1 (on water below bluff)
Bufflehead 1 f. -- both days (on water below bluff)
Com. Goldeneye 2 f. -- 1/1 (on water below bluff, w/Scaup)
White-winged Scoter 1 ad. m. -- both days (on water below bluff)
Peregrine Falcon 2 -- both days
Long-billed Curlew 1 -- 12/31 (flying W over GG Channel)
Surfbird 4,8 -- both days
Black Turnstone 5 -- 12/31
Band-tailed Pigeon 80+ -- 1/1
Or-cr. Warbler 1 -- both days (wintering @ BG)
W. Meadowlark 14,6 -- both days

Also:
1 N. Elephant Seal -- swimming in GG Channel on 1/1 (appeared to be female or young male)
Harbor Porpoise 2

Finally, on 12/31, I observed an ANCIENT MURRELET flying W within 50 yards of shore from the Mile Rock overlook.

Paul Saraceni