Half Moon Bay July pelagics

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hi folks,

    The water is heating up offshore, and hopefully the birding will also. El Niño is gathering force off the Galapagos, and we are already seeing displacements of birds from there. Who knows, but the Kelp Gull we saw here may be part of this event? Two Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrels were caught on the Farallon Islands earlier this spring, and San Diego birders are finding some great early records and a northbound and early movement of Craveri’s Murrelets, Least SP, Buller’s Shearwaters, and even Magnificent Frigatebirds. You never know what is going to be out there, could be a bird of a lifetime like the Salvin’s Albatross we found in July last year on our boat, or maybe it will be a birdy but rarity free day? But it is shaping up to be an unusual year, and these are the first two chances of getting out there in Central California to see what is going on. July 19 and July 26 we have trips going out, both still have spaces left. You can’t expect the unexpected, but southern hemisphere seabirds like the albatross head north in June – July, so it is a good time to be watching for a stray “weirdo.”

   Let me know if you are interested, or pay directly on the site with PayPal. I am super excited to get out this season, I do not think this will be a “run of the mill” year.

http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/

Great birding to you all.

alvaro@...