El Polin highlights

Dan Murphy

Joan and I walked the loop trail from Inspiration Pt. in the Presidio down to el Polin Springs.  Birding was scattered but good.  We had an Olive-sided Flycatcher from the observation deck.  On the trail below the deck there was a Western Wood Pewee.  We heard Red-masked Parakeets and several Purple Finches as we walked down.  At the top of the hill above el Polin where the trail drops down by the dirt parking lot there was a first year male Hooded Oriole.  We saw it several times along the trail.  To the left of the spring there was a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  There may have been singing nearby, but we lost the first bird and didn't see the second at all.  At least 3 Pine Siskins were in the area as were at least 2 Swainson's Thrushes.  Of course all the more usual stuff was around.  Nice walk with enough birds to amuse us.

Good birding,
Dan Murphy