Opportunity - Farallon Island trip - Blue-footed Booby

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello folks,

    The Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society’s trip to the Farallon Islands earlier this month had to be rescheduled due to weather issues. I am guiding the re-scheduled trip with Bob Power this Friday. Due to the change in date, spots have opened up on this previously sold out trip. There are Tufted Puffins to be seen, along with numbers of Common Murres, Pigeon Guillemots and the marine mammals (N. Fur Seals, Steller’s Sea lions, whales). But something extra special is possible right now. Three different members of the booby family have been seen there, sometimes all on the same day, in the recent past – Blue-footed Booby, Brown Booby and Northern Gannet!! On our last trip we saw the last two, the first Blue-foot (there have been two) showed up a day later. So if you want to try a “poor man’s” Galapagos trip, a chance to see a booby is there. No guarantees, but we shall try hard. After visiting the islands we shall head to the deeper waters off the shelf to look for albatrosses, and offshore seabirds – hopefully one of the southern murrelets will be around. We shall see.

If you are interested in going on the trip, do contact me privately.

Regards,

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...