Aug 16 SF - SM pelagic report

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello all.

We enjoyed great calm seas, warm water and fun with old friends and new on our San Francisco waters pelagic last Saturday. Highlights included Fin Whale, N Elephant seal and yes...birds. There were two Scripp's Murrelets (San Mateo), a great show of Black Storm-Petrels (several hundred) with Wilson's (7 or more, SF county), and Ashy Storm Petrels. Shearwaters included nice views of Black-vented (numbers are building), Sooty and Pink-foots of course, and a few Buller's filtering in now. South Polar Skua, Long-tailed Jaegers and Sabine's Gulls, many Red-necked Phalaropes and the first Reds coming in. Black-footed Albatross are out there, but in smaller numbers than in late July. We did not encounter many Vellela vellela (by the wind sailors), but numbers of Mola mola (Ocean Sunfish) were still high. Three species of loons inshore were nice, a surprise Sea Otter outside the harbor, and a close inshore Humpback Whale. A really pleasant trip, great diversity, some goodies and some questions…like where are the Craveri’s? There were three pelagics out this weekend, and none of them found Craveri’s. I am sure they will turn up again, just a matter of time!

    We are heading out this Friday (Half Moon Bay), and Saturday (Monterey). Spaces still left and weather is looking good! http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/

I leave you with some photos taken this Saturday by Jeff Poklen. http://www.pbase.com/jpkln/highlights

Good birding,

alvaro@...