More Migrants

Brian Fitch

I started the morning at the Cliff House, where five Wandering Tattlers were together on the rocks south of the building.  The only unusual sighting was a light morph, first summer Pomerine Jaeger, flying high beyond the rocks and heading for the mouth of the Gate.  Also interesting was a Pigeon Guillemot with a fish in its mouth that was nearly as large as its wing patches, causing an odd first appearance as it flew by.

South Lake Merced was migrantless, but three juvenile grackles were very audible along the concrete bridge, and Marsh Wrens seem to have had a good crop, as I saw at least five juvies on both sides of the bridge during a brief visit.

On Mt Davidson, I was surprised (for early August) to find numerous western migrants; five Pacific-slope Flycatchers, a Warbling Vireo, at least ten Western Tanagers (mostly males in full breeding plumage), three Black-headed Grosbeaks, a male Lazuli Bunting, and a female Bullock's Oriole.  Most of the birds were in or along the ravine, on the north slope.
Brian Fitch