Re: Cliffhouse today- Upwelling vs. El Nino

Alvaro Jaramillo

Josiah et al.

  Hey, thanks for this great email with all sorts of interesting information. I am no expert on oceanography, and this is more a question than a statement, so I have a great deal of uncertainty in the following but maybe someone out there can clarify.

ENSO – El Niño Southern Oscillation. This event has the warm (niño) and cold (niña) episodes. It occurs in the tropical Pacific, warming up the American side of the Pacific during the warm cycle.

Here is the question though. As far as I know, El Niño does not occur in California. When it is happening in the tropical pacific it certainly affects weather up here, but note that weak Niños do not give us wet winters necessarily. The second year of the massive two year drought in the 70s was during an El Niño year!! But more importantly, water does not warm here when there are El Niños, at least not consistently. My impression is that during certain (but not all??) massive El Niños, we have had a corresponding warm water episode off Mexico and California. But this is not expected, and for all I know not necessarily caused by the El Niño. Even so during massive El Niños, birds from the Humbold Current and likely tropical pacific are displaced, and it could be a good time to look for oddities here; but don’t necessarily expect the water to be warmer.

Anything going on now with fish and birds off our coast has nothing to do with an El Niño, as that is not even happening yet. The sea surface temperature in the tropical pacific is warming, and there is a better than 50% chance of a warm episode developing during our summer, but it is not a done deal yet. Even so, your predictions are correct – a Red-billed Tropicbird showed up on Monterey a few days ago!! So I agree with the predictions you are making, but offer that it may not be El Niño that is causing it.

Regards,

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com