Pelagic out of Half Moon Bay - May 4th.; Monterey Bird-a-thon pelagic May 3d.

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hi folks,

   Just in case any of you are itching to get out on the water, I am running a pelagic out of Half Moon Bay on Sun May 4th. Should be good for seeing northbound migrants offshore, but possibilities for rarities are there. The water is somewhat warm off Half Moon Bay, and productivity (chlorophyll readings) are high well out beyond the continental shelf break. This could be good, we shall see. Last year we saw Brown Booby, Ancient Murrelet and Scripp’s Murrelet on this trip, likely this one will be different, but unusual stuff does show up at this time of year. It will be the first time we can go and see if this is a Cook’s Petrel year or not!. Contact me via this e-mail, or 650-504-7779 if you want more information.

Also the Monterey Audubon will be doing its Bird-a-thon gone wild fundraiser on May 2 and 3. I will be giving a talk on the 2nd on seabirds, and helping to co-lead the Monterey pelagic run by Tim Amaral and Monterey Seabirds on the 3d. Lots of life in Monterey right now, big schools of anchovies, whales and sea life. Richard Ternullo reported a Laysan Albatross there a couple of days ago. If you want more information on that, as well as the various other guided field trips see:

http://www.montereyaudubon.org/mas_birdathon.pdf

good birding,

alvaro@...