SF Sea-watching, 2/22/14

Paul Saraceni

This morning (7-9:30 AM) I did some sea-watching from 3 locations: south end of the Great Highway, then the Cliff House and Mile Rock overlook, with Mark Eaton joining me at the latter 2 locations.

Observed several winter specialties, including a female HARLEQUIN DUCK that flew N past the south-end, just beyond the breakers, @ 7:15 AM.

Other observations of local interest:

South-end:

White-winged Scoter 6 (on the water)

Black Scoter 8 m., 4 f.

Sanderling 120+

Cliff House:

N. FULMAR 4-6 (1-2 whitish/1 grey/2-3 brownish)

Black Oystercatcher 2

Black Turnstone 15

Surfbird 3

RED PHALAROPE 1 (flying N in front of the offshore rocks, then turned W out to sea)

Heermann's Gull 1 ad.

Common Murre 30+

ANCIENT MURRELET 5 (fly-bys: 1 N/2 N/2 S)

RHINOCEROS AUKLET 1 (fly-by SW )

Bottlenose Dolphin 8-10

Harbor Porpoise 2

Mile Rock:

Pelagic Cormorant 6-8

Heermann's Gull 1 ad., 4 imm.

A number of the Brandt's Cormorants are coming in to breeding plumage with bright blue at the base of the bill. Quite a few of the Common Murres were already in alternate plumage, as was 1 Red-throated Loon.  The alternate-plumaged Willet continues with the Willet flock near the Cliff House.

Paul Saraceni