SW SF, 1/18/13

Paul Saraceni

This morning Hugh Cotter and I did a short sea watch with Dominik from the south end of the Great Highway, then birded south L. Merced.

Relatively flat seas, but NE winds that have been around for a while are not helpful for species diversity.

Hugh and I observed a single ANCIENT MURRELET flying N.

Observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 300+

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 26 (most on ocean)

Black Scoter 28

MERLIN 1 (made a half-hearted dive at Sanderlings on the beach, then continued N over ocean)

Red-thr. Loon 800+
Common Loon 11

Pacific Loon 8

Brown Pelican 3
Black Oystercatcher 1 (flying N, a ways out over the ocean)
Murrelet sp. 4 (2 pairs, likely Marbled)
Common Murre 220+

Heermann's Gull 2 ad., 1 imm. (flying S)

At the concrete bridge at s. L. Merced, the wintering TROPICAL KINGBIRD continues, calling and flycatching from a post in the water S of the SW corner of bridge. There were at least 8 GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES (4 m., 3 f., 1 imm.) in the vicinity. We also observed the continuing NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH from the trashy trail along the E shore of the lake N of the concrete bridge. It was calling and provided a brief view along the W side of the trail, 50' or so down the trail.

Other observations of local interest in the area:

Wilson's Snipe 1 (feeding in the open near SE corner of bridge)

Thayer's Gull 2

Herring Gull 6

Nuttall's Woodpecker 1

Say's Phoebe 1