SW SF, 1/12/13

Paul Saraceni

I got out for several hours this morning in the SW corner of the City.

Started with some sea-watching from south end of the Great Highway and then briefly from Ft. Funston observation platform. Began with impressive waves that were fun to watch, but made the scoping difficult. The seas started to calm down a couple of hours later.

Best sighting was a nearly-white, light-morph NORTHERN FULMAR flying N @ 7:25 AM.

A 1st-winter Glaucous-type Gull flying N was perhaps a Glaucous x Herring Gull hybrid. Cleanly demarcated pink bill with black tip, but otherwise mostly-pale plumage (including primaries) had some darker markings on the underwing.

Other observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 240+

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 36 (most on ocean from Ft. F. observation platform)

Black Scoter 10 (6 m./4 f.)

Red-thr. Loon 700+
Common Loon 2

Brown Pelican 4
Common Murre 1

Heermann's Gull 1 ad.

Herring Gull 15+

I then took a walk through the coastal scrub in the southern (lower) portion of Ft. Funston, with the following observations of local interest:

Say's Phoebe 1

House Wren 1

Bewick's Wren 2

Hermit Thrush 1