Long-tailed Duck et al, South-end Sea watch, SF, 12/21/13

Paul Saraceni

This morning I conducted a sea watch from the south-most parking lot of the Great Highway, 7:00-10:00 AM.  Conditions were good with visibility out to the horizon and light west wind.

At 8:30 AM I observed a female LONG-TAILED DUCK which flew in from the S and landed on the ocean ~100 yards out.  Hopefully this bird will remain in the vicinity for my CBC sea watch next Friday.

Other observations of local interest:

Greater Scaup 2 f. (on ocean near Black Scoter flock)
Surf Scoter 13 (surprisingly low number for this time of year)
White-winged Scoter 2 (on ocean)
Black Scoter 8 m., 2 f.
Common Loon 7
Pacific Loon 2
Red-thr. Loon 350+ (most flying N during first hour)
Pelagic Cormorant 1
Brown Pelican 8
Marbled Godwit 2 (with Willet flock)
Heermann's Gull 3
Thayer's Gull 2 ad.
Herring Gull 9
Com. Murre 240+ (most flying N during first hour)

Paul Saraceni