High-flying Jaegers off of Battery Godfrey,SF, 12/8/13

Paul Saraceni

Another overnight with E-NE winds led to a morning skywatch (6:45-10 AM) @ Battery Godfrey, joined for part of the time by Hugh Cotter.  Just a handful of waterfowl were observed, but a couple of jaegers were of interest, both flying high over the Golden Gate Channel.  At 7:40 AM, Hugh and I observed a light-adult PARASITIC JAEGER flying east higher-up than Hawk Hill and continuing over the GG Bridge and over the Bay towards Angel Island.  It's getting late for Parasitic, but this individual showed characteristic slimmer profile and rapid flight style.  At 8:05 AM I picked up on another high-fying, light-adult jaeger coming in from Pt. Bonita then circling high over the Channel before I lost sight of it. This individual appeared to be more broader-chested, showed more white in the primaries, and was more deliberate in flight style -- I concluded it was a POMARINE JAEGER.

Other observations of local interest:

Cackling ("Aleutian") Goose 2 (flying together E high over GG Channel)
Am. Wigeon 3 (flying E low over GG Channel)
Common Loon 3 (flying E high over GG Channel)
Pacific Loon 2 (flying E high over GG Channel)
Red-thr. Loon 60+ (most flying E high over GG Channel, some circled back W)
Brown Pelican 160+ (signifcant movement, most flying W from the Bay high over GG Channel)
Cooper's Hawk 1
Peregrine Falcon 2
Large shorebird sp. (prob. Long-billed Curlew) 60+ (1 flock flying W high over GG Channel and heading out to sea)
Com. Murre 400+ (many flocks flying W into GG Channel)
Band-tailed Pigeon 120+ (several flocks)
N. Flicker 4
Varied Thrush 27 (fly-overs heading N in multiple groups)
Hermit Thrush 2
Cedar Waxwing 6 (1 group flying N)
Yel.-rumped Warbler 5
Townsend's Warbler 8
Purple Finch 3

Also: Harbor Porpoise 2

After leaving the Battery I did a loop thru Lobos Dunes, with the following highlights:

Red-tailed Hawk 4 (overhead)
Hairy Woodpecker 1 f. (showing yellow rectrices and vent)
Nuttall's Woodpecker 1 (heard-only)
Bewick's Wren 1
Purple Finch 6

Also: E. Fox Squirrel (introduced) 1