NW SF, 11/29/13

Paul Saraceni

This morning Hugh Cotter and I birded Battery Godfrey, followed by visits to Ft. Scott and Lobos Dunes in the Presidio.

Battery Godfrey was pretty slow (7-9:45 AM), with no flight of waterfowl.  High numbers of gulls continue in the GG Channel.

Observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 11
Pacific Loon 1
Red-thr. Loon 2
Brown Pelican 80+ (most heading W out of the Bay)
Double-cr. Cormorant 35
Pelagic Cormorant 2
N. HARRIER 1 imm. (crossed high over the GG Channel, heading SE)
Peregrine Falcon 1 (perched atop S. tower of GG Bridge)
Band-tailed Pigeon 720+ (multiple flocks (15-120), heading N)
N. Flicker 3
Sapsucker sp. 1 (heard-only, calling from E of Battery)
Varied Thrush 18 (2 groups)
Am. Robin 2
Ruby-cr. Kinglet 3
Cedar Waxwing 5
Am. Pipit 1 (calling fly-over)
Yel.-rumped Warbler 24
Townsend's Warbler 2
Fox Sparrow 2
Spotted Towhee 1 (heard-only, calling from scrub N of Battery; uncommon @ BG)
Purple Finch 2
Am. Goldfinch 2
Lesser Goldfinch 2

A walk around Ft. Scott & Kobbe/Upton produced little other than 1 Say's Phoebe and 1 Hairy Woodpecker.

At Lobos Dunes, most of the action was in the large oak tree adjacent to the west side of the brick Presidio Trust office building. We relocated the continuing OAK TITMOUSE which was mostly silent as it foraged near the top of the tree. It eventually flew a short distance SE, appearing to land in one of the small trees within the fenced-in maintenance yard.  The oak tree also held a female NUTTALL'S WOODPECKER and a single GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET.  A House Wren was calling from the dune scrub near the boardwalk and an Introduced E. Fox Squirrel was in the oaks below the boardwalk.

Paul Saraceni