Battery Godfrey, SF, 11/1/13

Paul Saraceni

I did a brief skywatch from Battery Godfrey this morning (7:20-9:00 AM). Despite steady NE winds, it was mostly slow but things started to get more interesting right around the time I had to depart.

There must have been a couple of thousand gulls in the GG Channel and then heading E into the Bay while I was there. Mostly Western and California Gulls, 80+ Mews, 20+ Heermann's, and a handful of Herring and Glaucous-winged that I picked out.

Observations of local interest:

"ALEUTIAN" CACKLING GOOSE 5 (1 high-flying flock heading NE over GG Bridge @ 8:00 AM)
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE 11 (1 high-flying flock heading NE over Baker Beach then Presidio @ 8:15 AM)
N. Pintail 3 m. (1 flock)
Greater Scaup 2 m.
CANVASBACK 1 f. (flying E with the  2 Scaup @ 8:45 AM)
Surf Scoter 20+
Red-tailed Hawk 2 imm. (crossed GG Channel heading SE)
Brown Pelican 12
Elegant Tern 1
N. Flicker 4
House Wren 1
Ruby-cr. Kinglet 2
Cedar Waxwing 8
Yel.-rumped Warbler 40+
Yellow Warbler 1
PALM WARBLER 1 (a rather brightly-plumaged individual with yellowish supercilium flew across the Battery in front of me and may have dropped down in vegetation on the north (Bridge) side of the Battery @ 8:50 AM)
Purple Finch 1
Am. Goldfinch 2
Lesser Goldfinch 1

Paul Saraceni