Re: Potential new additions to the San Francisco city and county list

Peter Pyle

Hi Logan -

Great recap. It seems you made correct assumptions for the Farallon Island (SEFI) list. A couple of small comments:

McCown's Longspur - hypothetical (probably good) record for SEFI
Flammulated Owl - same

I'd add a few Siberian species to your potential list for the Farallones, some of which may be more likely than some of those you listed. Perhaps Swainson's Warbler as well. (Painted Redstart? - has it been seen in SF city?).

Also Red-billed Tropicbird - there's a sight record for the North Farallones from a whale-watching boat but I've never seen details, and don't know of any others.

Little Gull - No records for SEFI. Is there a pelagic record?

Iceland Gull - It's my understanding that the bird a couple of years ago at Horseshoe Cove was seen to fly over adjacent SF waters, and the same may be the case for Lesser Black-backed and Slaty-backed Gulls there(?) or elsewhere in the bay.

I've been assuming the SF bird list has followed these official county boundaries for the bay
http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/karten/karte-7-62.gif
but I'm happy to be enlightened.

Peter

At 12:31 PM 10/30/2013, Logan Kahle wrote:

Hi all,
With additions to the San Francisco county list over the past few years, the county list is starting to approach 500. The current list, as I understand, is 482. Since I have personally never found a first San Francisco county record, I've spent quite a bit of time researching what new county records there are to be found. I have compiled a list of what I believe are the most likely new additions to the county list. Some of these species have been reported in the county already, though none of the records of those species were accepted. I am only regarding a record as valid if it is accepted by the California Birds Records Committee or, where the committee does not apply, accepted by North American Birds. So, here is the list I have compiled, divided up by "parts" of the county. I would very much appreciate any input or other insights as to what will be the next new species for this county. Within the lists, the birds are in no particular order.

Birds that would be new to the county list (that could plausibly be found in the city (peninsula only)):

Stilt Sandpiper (Bayside?)

McCown’s Longspur (Battery Godfrey?)

Crested Caracara (Battery Godfrey?)

California Thrasher (Bayview Hill)

Lesser Black-backed Gull (Herring Run on Bayside)

Hudsonian Godwit (Sutro?)

Mountain Chickadee

Mountain Plover (Battery Godfrey?)

Canyon Wren (Twin Peaks? Glen Canyon?)

Royal Tern (Sutro? Coast Guard Pier?)

Barred Owl

Spotted Owl

White-headed Woodpecker

Broad-billed Hummingbird

Little Blue Heron (Bayside)

Wood Stork

Long-billed Murrelet (Sutro)

Additional new birds to the county list that, if they are found, are almost certainly going to be found on the Farallones:
Sky Lark

Whip-poor-will (either species)

Rustic Bunting

Yellow-browed Warbler
Willow Warbler

Pechora Pipit
Siberian Rubythroat

Flammulated Owl

Common Ground-Dove

New birds to the county list that would be found on a pelagic trip:

Wedge-tailed Shearwater

White-chinned Petrel

Other Procellaria

Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrel

Potential new additions to the city list that would not be new for the county:

Ruff (Bayside)

Little Gull (Battery Godfrey? Lake Merced?)

Common Nighthawk (Mount Davidson?)

Black-chinned Sparrow (Mount Davidson? Bayview Hill?)

Emperor Goose (Sutro)

Mourning Warbler (East Wash? Mount Davidson?)

Wagtail sp. (?? Ocean Beach??)

Cook’s Petrel (Sutro)

White-eyed Vireo (East Wash?)

Blue-headed Vireo (East Wash?)

Iceland Gull (Herring run on Bayside)
Slaty-backed Gull (Herring run on Bayside)

Leach’s Storm-Petrel (Sutro or stadium lights­Fort Point/Baseball game)

Pine Warbler (East Wash?)

 I'd be interested to hear if anybody has any critiques or additions to any of these lists. I have never been on the Farallones, and my predictions for that island may be off. I'd imagine somebody like Peter Pyle or someone else with a considerable amount of experience on the island could create a much more realistic list.

Good birding,
            logan