Re: SAGS - Re: Great Shearwater in San Francisco waters.

Peter Pyle

As a follow-up, the Sage Sparrow on the
Farallones 26 Oct 2007 was captured and was too
large for canescens so was a Sagebrush Sparrow
(nevadaensis) which appears can be added to the
SF list. There was another sight record of a
"Sage Sparrow" there in 2005, as well as five
spring and three fall records from the early
days, the last being from 9 April 1982. None of
the earlier birds were photographed but perhaps
some were banded and possibly might be identified
by wing chord. I'm sure someone will be looking into it.

It was Matt Brady who was inquiring about the
SEFI birds, in connection to a 2012 paper in
Western Birds with John Sterling (43:50-51) on
Sage Sparrows in the Central Valley. They did not
mention the SEFI birds in this paper. A pdf is available on line
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=brady%20sterling%20sage%20sparrow&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westernfieldornithologists.org%2Fdocs%2Fabstracts%2F43-1FP.pdf&ei=li4JUruTPLTlygG-hIA4&usg=AFQjCNFjuxKLGqTkqoWmSRjTTI86KWkK4g&bvm=bv.50500085,d.aWc
or google "brady sterling sage sparrow pdf" and it comes up near the top.

Peter

At 09:49 AM 8/12/2013, Peter Pyle wrote:

Hi Logan -

The 2007 "Sage Sparrow" was the first one in 30 years or so, all the
others being prior to 1980 (I never saw one there). Someone who was there
in 2007, perhaps Matt Brady or Oscar Johnson, reviewed the other records
for subspecies but I don't recall the outcome. I'll ask around, as it
*seems* a bit more pertinent now than it was then.

A problem is emerging, however, in that the subspecies canescens of the
Mohave area was placed with Bell's (belli) rather than with Sagebrush
Sparrow (nevadaensis), despite looking a lot more like Sagebrush. Southern
Californians and others are currently trying to determine if canescens and
nevadaensis are separable in the field. So we'll have to look again at the
2007 bird to make sure we can put Sagebrush on the SF list.

With the genetic evidence falling out like this (belli and canescens
together) I have to wonder a bit about the split.

Peter

Hi all,
This year's addition of Wild Turkey and now Great Shearwater onto the
county list I believe brings the total list up to 481 (correct me if I'm
wrong Hugh). This total comes from the two aforementioned additions to the
county list from the 478 we ended at last year. Additionally, I have
included Sagebrush Sparrow (in addition to Bell's, which has shown up on
the mainland two or three times), due to at least one photographic record
from the farallones of a nevadensis (I do not know the subspecies of the
rest of the islands records; any info Peter?) on October 26, 2007.

Anyway, thought I'd just mention this impressive sum, especially for a
county that has only 47 square miles of land! Just 19 species to go...

Good birding,
Logan

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 11, 2013, at 10:08 PM, "Peter Pyle"
<<mailto:ppyle%40birdpop.org>ppyle@...> wrote:

Not on the Farallon list. There was one reported near the Farallones
from
an Oceanic Society trip in the 1990s sometime (it will be in the CBRC
book). As I recall it sounded pretty good, but was not accepted.
Congrats
Al.

Peter

It's not on Sterling's county lists and there's certainly no City
records.
:-) Maybe the Peter or the Farallon crew have more information.

Mark

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo
<<mailto:chucao%40coastside.net>chucao@...>wrote:

All,

What I imagined was going to be a relatively standard Farallons
trip,
turned into a rather non-standard one. The highlight was an amazingly
close
and showy Great Shearwater! A tad later we had great views of Laysan
Albatross, all three jaegers, Arctic and Common Tern, Sabine's Gull
and
of
course lots of Tufted Puffins on the Farallons. The Northern Gannet
we
could
not find on the Island, I guess you are allowed only one species from
the
Atlantic on one trip ;-)

Photos in a bit. We are heading to SF waters on Aug 18th. Only a
couple of spots left though.

Question - I assume there has been a previous record in SF? Could
someone
confirm.

Good birding,

<mailto:alvaro%40alvarosadventures.com>alvaro@...