Re: SF Seabirds: July 27 & 28

Alvaro Jaramillo

Debi et al.

These sound like fantastic trips! Your comment about Wilson's
Storm-Petrels piqued my interest, and makes me wonder if the species may be
on an increase off central California perhaps? I guess it will take a few
more years of higher numbers to tell for sure. A week earlier on July 21st
(http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14737852 this checklist
includes some photos) we saw 15 Wilson's in San Francisco County, all that
we saw well were molting adults. Last year in adjacent San Mateo County we
saw perhaps 55 Wilson's on Aug 25, a number that I had thought was
impossible before I saw it. Here is that checklist with some photos:

We shall see longer term if these are "blips" or in fact local increases
in non-breeding Wilson's Storm Petrels. It is interesting for various
reasons, but one is that from what is known these are the Antarctic breeding
Wilson's Storm Petrels, not the ones that breed closer to us in Chile. Most
of the Antarctic breeders appear to go to the North Atlantic where they can
be abundant, and we get this little smattering of them. But perhaps there is
a shifting of the wintering (from the Wilson's perspective) population out
our way? The subspecies of Wilson's are a bit of a mess, but the biggest
Wilson's are known off Australia (exasperatus), and it seems that specimens
of Wilson's from California are smaller in size, matching the birds which
spend the non breeding season in the North Atlantic rather than birds from
the other side of the Pacific. So if long term we get more of them here,
they are most likely from that population that would otherwise be in the
North Atlantic...I guess. Differences from the birds in the Atlantic, is
that we get nearly none in spring here, while they are common in spring and
early summer out east. As well, they become rare north of California, but
reach well to the north in the Atlantic, of course this may just be due to
the water being so much warmer in the Atlantic. In any case their
latitudinal distribution and timing here is different than out east.

I am heading out on Aug 18th to SF waters, we shall see if they are still
around? http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/

Good Birding,

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com