Re: great-tailed grackle=devil bird

Alvaro Jaramillo

All,

Nice article! I am of the opinion that Western forms of Great-tailed
Grackle are very different from the more eastern forms, certainly in
vocalizations, size and I think also in behavior. Has anyone seen
Great-tails in "swarms" or masses in California or Arizona? Certainly they
flock, and roost together but do they get together in the densities of the
eastern (Texas) bird? I don't get to southern Cal as often as I would like,
so I am wondering. By the way, vocally western Great-tails resemble
Boat-tails more than they do eastern Great-tails to me. The breaking branch
song is not heard out here, but more of a series of trills.

Good birding,

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

_____