Rose-breasted grosbeak in Sutro Forest, 6/28 pm

Allan Ridley

Yesterday afternoon we spotted an adult, male rose-breasted grosbeak in Sutro Forest, along a small trail NW of the Chancellor's residence past "Ishi's Cave". It was making a sharp, high pitched, "peek" call. Beautiful bird! Also present on our walk through the forest: 2 pacific wrens singing, a Wilson's warbler, a number of song sparrows, 2 Am. robins singing, flock of bishtits. The habitat is rather frightening: strangling ivy up the eucalyptus & cypress and great stands of blackberry. BUT escaped, "wild" plum trees are abundant & fruiting and red elderberry is also in fruit . RBGB seemed to be feeding on the small red plums.