Ocean Beach--Dead Murrelet

rosita94598

After meeting my wife at the airport this morning, I talked her into stopping at Ocean Beach, south of the Zoo and sewage pump station. Not having a chance to make it to the City all summer, I figured my one chance to look for Bank Swallows was now, despite the lateness of the season. I did not see any, which is what I expected.

While walking back north on the beach to climb the rocks back to the road, we found what appears to be a dead Marbled Murrelet. I wrote a few notes for myself and don't really know what else it might be. It did not seem to be oiled. We left it where it was on the sand after studying it for a few minutes.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek