Low tide - Snowy Plovers

Allan Ridley

This afternoon there was an extraordinarily low tide at Ocean Beach and the snowy plovers were running about. I counted 14 but there were more.
One had a nice array of leg bands: rt. red/orange; left, light blue over dark blue (this bird was too cute in the afternoon light with it's little bracelets!)
The plovers were running about mid-beach (about Lawton, further north than usual, it seemed) The sanderlings (several large flocks > 30 birds) were closer to the waters edge.
I don't know if I've ever seen so much sand exposed with gentle wavelet action close in and wild turbulence a bit further out.
Allan