6/29-6/30/10 misc.

Dominik Mosur

On Tuesday (6/29) walking around on Corona Hill around 11 a.m. I observed fly-over TURKEY VULTURE and surprisingly a very ragged looking 1st summer GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL.

The Farewell-to-Spring are still holding strong with this year's higher than normal rainfall but it won't be long before they fade:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33576979@N02/4749806977/

Today (6/30) I walked around the newly restored area of Buena Vista Park, only a couple blocks from Corona Heights. The restored, open areas, were host to a mix of expected species including some exhibiting rarely seen behavior:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33576979@N02/4749808347/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33576979@N02/4750454420/

A nice find was this confiding individual:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33576979@N02/4750457344/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33576979@N02/4750452812/

A female HOODED ORIOLE was foraging in the live oaks above the restoration area. First of its kind I've seen in the park, once again a likely beneficiary of the opening up of this area and the native plants used in the restoration.

Good birding,
Dominik Mosur