From: Mark Eaton <marksffo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Heron's Head Black Oystercatcher chick
To: "marybetlach" <betlack@earthlink.net>
Cc: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, June 21, 2010, 9:43 PM

I should know this, but are there are other bay-side records for BLOY
nesting? I know about the birds that nested off the Cliff House and
there's a record for Alcatraz as well. Double Rock, perhaps?

Sigh,
Mark

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM, marybetlach <betlack@earthlink.net> wrote:
I walked Heron's Head at lunchtime today. It was pretty quiet there.
I didn't see the Harlequin duck today. There was a Willet transitioning to breeding plumage. There were 2-3 newly minted Avocet chicks being tended to by nervous parents in the southern ponds.  Best of all was a Black Oystercatcher feeding a youngster on the concrete pier north of Heron's Head. This action was occurring in full view at the end of the pier on the part where the concrete slopes into the water. The youngster was about ½ to 2/3 the size of the parent and had a brownish bill, unlike the bright orange of its parents. Perhaps it's the chick that Eddie Bartley spotted several weeks ago. It is encouraging that it has managed to evade the nearby gulls that inhabit the pier thus far.

Mary Betlach

---
Mark Eaton
mark@markeaton.org