Rose-breasted Grosbeak in SFBG

Allan Ridley

On our first Sunday of the Month bird walk this morning, we were able to elicit a full singing response from "the Botanical Garden Rose-breasted Grosbeak" using playback from an iPhone.
The bird sang in the vicinity of the moon-viewing pond - NW of the pond. We did not see the bird. It was spotted yesterday in that area on the SFNature Education first Saturday bird walk.
The song was a good match for the iPhone version ( - the other groups were not playing iPhone songs back to us). I'm aware of the controversy about "calling birds" & we did not persist in using playback to find the bird.

Allan