Re: Ross versus Snow Goose at Crissy Field 1/3/2010

Alvaro Jaramillo

Esther

That is a Ross's Goose. The small size compared to the Mew and California
Gulls as well as its short-necked, small-billed look are helpful in
identifying it. Also the little stumpy bill looks to have a more greyish
base, also typical of Ross's. I am sort of guessing here but I think it is a
youngster due to the dark smudge on the back scapulars/tertials; again young
Ross's are much whiter then young Snows.which look greyish overall.

chucao@...

Half Moon Bay, California

Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

www.fieldguides.com