West SF

Alan Hopkins

Today I led a field trip for Santa Clara Audubon along Western SF. We did not see anything rare but we had a nice trip. We started at Sutro Baths and the Cliff House highlights included:
Common Loon 2
Red-throated Loon 5 (some in flight)
Surf Scoter, a few large flocks in flight, one large raft behind the rocks.
Scaup sp. One flock off shore
Oystercatcher 2
Willet 8
Black Turnstone 4
Say’s Phoebe 1

At the Chain of Lakes there were lots of birds in the wax myrtle along the closed road by the bathrooms.

At Ocean Beach:
Snowy Plover 30
Sanderling 50
Marbled Godwit 6
There was a big feeding flock about two miles off shore
We finished at Lake Merced and had no luck with the sapsucker.