From: Peter Metropulos <pjmetrop@pacbell.net>
To: sfbirds@yahoogroups.com; peninsula-birding@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:21:25 PM
Subject: [SFBirds] Luke Cole Challenge

Greetings comrades !

By now most of you have heard of the fundraising event organized to honor the memory of our fallen brother, Luke Cole.
Birding teams will scour each county in California on the weekend of September 26-27, with a goal of recording 400 species and gathering pledges of $40,000 for the organization that Luke founded, the Center on Race, Poverty and the Environment( CRPE).
There was a special place in Luke's heart for the San Joaquin Valley. Not only did he love spending time birding the area, but one of his main passions was fighting for the rights of the farmworkers that live there, work there, and produce the abundance of fruits and vegetables that we all enjoy.
It is with great pleasure that I have taken on the challenge of covering MERCED COUNTY for the event. During the weekend, Sept.26-27, me and my team will cover the county end-to-end, from its western border in the grasslands and chaparral of the Inner Coast Range to its eastern border on the lower slopes of the Sierra foothills. We will be checking such legendary birding sites as San Luis Reservoir and O'Neill Forebay, the Gustine Sewage Treatment Plant, Santa Fe Grade, Los Banos Waterfowl Management Area, and Merced National Wildlife Refuge.

If you haven't made a pledge for the cause yet I strongly encourage you to do so !

For more details: http:// www.markeaton. org/lukeColeChal lenge.html

We would love to have your support,

Peter J. Metropulos