Re: [SPAM] Funny Finch

Alvaro Jaramillo

Folks

This is a House Finch with abnormal pigmentation
(leucism.amelanism..whatever you want to call it). In other words, what
sometimes has been termed partial albinism. The oddity is how symmetrical
and complete it is on the ear coverts, but also check out that some of the
hind neck feathers are white. Otherwise in structure and coloration it is a
perfectly fine House Finch. The shape and structure being perfect for House
Finch excludes the possibility that this is some type of hybrid. Note that
House Sparrows are true sparrows (Passeridae), but the Sparrow-junco hybrids
have been between members of the Emberizidae, so White-throated Sparrow x
Dark-eyed Junco. This is where the generic term sparrow becomes misleading.
House Sparrows are exceedingly unlikely to hybridize with members of an
entirely different family of birds, such as Emberizids.

Cheers

Al

Alvaro Jaramillo

chucao@...