Re: RT Pipits, Lappie continue

Alvaro Jaramillo

SF Birders

Don't tell my San Mateo friends that I left the county! Actually, I
had a meeting in SF today and I was hoping that the pipits would hang on
long enough for me to get to see them, and I did. Three was the number I saw
as well today, I left at noon. Two were together, and the third was hanging
out with the Lapland Longspur. The only thing to add is that at about 1115
or so I saw a flock of 15 high flying Cackling Geese go over towards the
Northeast. They were silent. Looking at them in the scope, they structurally
looked like Aleutians..but I realize that this may be more detail than the
observation allowed for.

I did get some recordings of the flight call of the RT pipits. If I have
spare time later, I will post them somewhere as this call note is much
talked about in the bird ID circles, but not an easy one to get on
commercial tapes and the like.

Al

Alvaro Jaramillo

chucao@...