Re: Cassin's Finch, Brewer's Sparrow on Mt D- fide Brian Fitch and David Armstrong

Alvaro Jaramillo

Folks

I am not doubting the identification of this bird, but wanted to point
out something about the undertail covert streaking in Carpodacus finches.
Our Purple Finches, californicus, are not quite like the ones in the east.
Although californicus is the form that is sympatric with Cassin's Finch, it
is also a form that commonly shows streaking on the undertail coverts,
unlike the eastern version of Purple Finch. Now the streaking is not always
there, but when it is, it tends to be a couple of longer streaks near the
midline of the undertail coverts. It is not the same streaking pattern as on
a Cassin's, but presence of streaking does not eliminate Purple is my point.
Again, I am not doubting this identification, I just wanted to point out
this bit about streaking.

A real good field mark on Cassin's Finch is the long, long wing. The
primary extension (length of wing past the folded tertials) goes for a mile
on a Cassin's. Just in case you want more to look for!

Great bird by the way, I look forward to my first in San Mateo county some
day.

Cheers

chucao@...

Half Moon Bay, California

Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

www.fieldguides.com

_____

From: htcotter@comcast. <mailto:htcotter%40comcast.net> net
<htcotter@comcast. <mailto:htcotter%40comcast.net> net>
Subject: [SFBirds] Cassin's Finch, Brewers Sparrow on Mt D- fide Brian Fitch
and David Armstrong
To: sfbirds@yahoogroups <mailto:sfbirds%40yahoogroups.com> .com
Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 10:36 AM

All,
There is currently a Cassin's Finch on MT D seen by Brain Fitch this
morning and re-found by David Armstrong in the last few minutes. Seen by
David
at the top of
the ravine and then few down the hill.
Per Brian it was singing.

David also reported a likely Brewers Sparrow.

I am sure the full details will follow later

Hugh